Itemize Books In Pursuance Of Ilium (Ilium #1)
| Original Title: | Ilium |
| ISBN: | 0380817926 (ISBN13: 9780380817924) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Ilium #1, Ilion 1 (El asedio), Ilium/Olympos #1 , more |
| Characters: | Odysseus, Hector of Troy, Achilles (Greek hero), Hockenberry, Mahnmut, Orphu |
| Literary Awards: | Hugo Award Nominee for Best Novel (2004), Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (2004), Cena Akademie SFFH for Kniha roku (Book of the Year) (2005) |
Dan Simmons
Mass Market Paperback | Pages: 752 pages Rating: 4.03 | 24767 Users | 1085 Reviews
Chronicle As Books Ilium (Ilium #1)
The Trojan War rages at the foot of Olympos Mons on Mars—observed and influenced from on high by Zeus and his immortal family—and twenty-first-century professor Thomas Hockenberry is there to play a role in the insidious private wars of vengeful gods and goddesses. On Earth, a small band of the few remaining humans pursues a lost past and devastating truth—as four sentient machines depart from Jovian space to investigate, perhaps terminate, the potentially catastrophic emissions emanating from a mountaintop miles above the terraformed surface of the Red Planet.
Specify Of Books Ilium (Ilium #1)
| Title | : | Ilium (Ilium #1) |
| Author | : | Dan Simmons |
| Book Format | : | Mass Market Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 752 pages |
| Published | : | June 28th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published 2003) |
| Categories | : | Science Fiction. Fantasy. Fiction. Mythology. Science Fiction Fantasy. Space. Space Opera. Historical. Historical Fiction |
Rating Of Books Ilium (Ilium #1)
Ratings: 4.03 From 24767 Users | 1085 ReviewsCommentary Of Books Ilium (Ilium #1)
This was a fun read! Combine the Greeks and Trojans in the Iliad, aliens, space travel, dinosaurs, war, and AI then you've got Ilium! This was such a new and great twist to the story we all know and love!A book should not be hard to read. To pick up a book, and to read the words and enjoy them should not be hard, it should just be. Reading this book was hard. Every moment I normally would pick up a book to read a little I would pick up this, and every time I did not look forward to it.It baffles me; I could have sworn that I enjoyed Hyperion and that it was well-written, could I have been so wrong? This was not enjoyable, it was not well-written, and it was so hugely disappointing. 700 pages is
Prepare to have mind blown.I like dense reads, and I like immersing myself in complex worlds created by brilliant minds... but never, NEVER have I read a more astonishingly complex novel. 1/2 the way through this gigantic mind bender I was still completely without a clue about what was going on in the book. The fact that I and so many others rate this book so highly tells you a little something about our Mr. Simmons and the quality of his writing. Who get's away with this?? Nobody does... excpet

Update: After thinking about the book for three weeks and comparing it with the other books read and ratings given this month AND despite my misgivings about the beginning and not really liking the parts about the Greeks all that much, I decided to upgrade the rating to a full five stars. The scope of the book was just so great, it really deserves the highest rating.*~*~*~*I did not enjoy the first 50 pages or so. I was confused and wondering what was going on. I though I would DNF this, before
OK, mad props to Dan Simmons!! Bravo!! This man is brilliant and cheeky. Bold and irreverent. And humor in the oddest of places. I swear if I didn't know better I'd say this book was written on a dare. I mean honestly "What the heck did I just read" (erlisten to)!! This was everything in the kitchen sink of scifi!! The world building was amazing and genre blending? Yes please!! Did you want to read a book about Greek mythology? How about a story about the retelling of The Iliad? Complete with
"Literary science fiction". One of the words in this phrase struggles and strains against the other two like an 18-month old who doesn't want to be picked up. It doesn't want to be associated with a genre that often is long on ideas and short on quality prose and sharp and distinct style. It often succeeds in escaping the pull of science fiction's weak gravity. Occassionaly, an author creates a story that is so dense that the word is held in place in an unstable orbit. Ultimately many of those


0 Comments