Define Based On Books Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis

Title:Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis
Author:George Sayer
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 457 pages
Published:June 20th 2005 by Crossway Books (first published June 1st 1988)
Categories:Biography. Nonfiction. Christian. Religion. Christianity
Free Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis  Download Books
Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis Paperback | Pages: 457 pages
Rating: 4.09 | 2534 Users | 135 Reviews

Rendition Conducive To Books Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis

As I walked away from New Buildings, I found the man that Lewis had called "Tollers" sitting on one of the stone steps in front of the arcade.

"How did you get on?" he asked.

"I think rather well. I think he will be a most interesting tutor to have."

"Interesting? Yes, he's certainly that," said the man, who I later learned was J. R. R. Tolkien. "You'll never get to the bottom of him."

Over the next twenty-nine years, author George Sayer's first impression about C. S. Lewis proved true. He was interesting; but he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, gifted literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist. Sayer draws from a variety of sources, including his close friendship with Lewis and the million-word diary of Lewis's brother, to paint a portrait of the man whose friends knew him as Jack.

Offering glimpses into Lewis's extraordinary relationships and experiences, Jack details the great scholar's life at the Kilns; days at Magdalen College; meetings with the Inklings; marriage to Joy Davidman Gresham; and the creative process that produced such world-famous works as the classic Chronicles of Narnia, Mere Christianity, and The Screwtape Letters.

This book is an intimate account of the man who helped--and through his works, continues to help--generations hear and understand the heart of Christianity.

Specify Books In Pursuance Of Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis

Original Title: Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis
ISBN: 1581347391 (ISBN13: 9781581347395)
Edition Language: English
Literary Awards: Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inklings Studies (1991)

Rating Based On Books Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis
Ratings: 4.09 From 2534 Users | 135 Reviews

Criticize Based On Books Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis
Short Review: A good biography of CS Lewis. The important part of the book is that it is written by a long time friend and former student of Lewis. He was actually there for much of what is being written about. He went with Lewis the first time Lewis met Joy. Lewis regularly visited their home. So this has memories, not just research. No biography is perfect, but if you are reading several biographies about Lewis, this is one that you should probably have on your list.My full review is on my

C.S. Lewis was first known to me through his children's books on Narnia. I've since become introduced to him as a Christian philosopher. As a biblical theologian, Lewis, by his own admission, was an amateur. As a thinker, he has few rivals. All biographies or books on history will be necessarily limited to the knowledge, perspective, and biases of the author. George Sayer was a close personal friend of Lewis. While his observations and comments on Lewis and his friends/family are fascinating, it

I really enjoyed this book and even though I am not a literary expert by any means, I was able to keep up most of the time. It is very thorough and because the author was a friend of Jack's, it felt very authentic and gave quite a view of some private issues of his life. I will keep this book and while reading more of C.S. Lewis' writing, I plan on returning to each section of his life that led to writing each particular work. Highly recommended.

Quite a good biography of Lewis from a man who was his student and friend. Worthwhile.

I read Jack not long after I retired, fourteen years ago.I had become a C.S. Lewis groupie (and still am)! My membership in that exalted group had been confirmed during my initial post-cube-farm passion with Amazon, when I had (very wisely) invested some of my severance pay in the complete three-volume set of Lewis correspondence.But then - I only skimmed through THIS book at first, when it arrived in the mail. Horrors!WHAT TEMERITY! I said inwardly - that some so-called close friend would so

This is the best biography I have read on C.S.Lewis, and I have ready many. It was finally great to get around to reading it. I had been told really great things about it from friends, and from Lewis' step-son Douglas Gresham who is a very good friend of mine.

This is a splendid biography of CSL by a friend and former student. His descriptions of Lewis' lectures makes me yearn to be transported to one. I found it fascinating the Sayer was present at the first face-to-face meeting between CSL and Joy Davidman. Sayer's assessment of Joy and of their marriage is tender and sympathetic. What bibliophile can help but love C.S. Lewis? Book buying was for him a lifelong habit. He knew that if he really liked a book, he would want to read it again and would