Download Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5) Books Online

Download Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5) Books Online
Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5) Paperback | Pages: 352 pages
Rating: 4.14 | 3699 Users | 318 Reviews

Declare Epithetical Books Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5)

Title:Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5)
Author:Xueqin Cao
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 352 pages
Published:October 20th 1958 by Anchor (first published 1791)
Categories:Classics. Fiction. Cultural. China. Literature. Historical. Historical Fiction. Asia

Explanation To Books Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5)

Zhuangzi said that the desire for money is difficult to overcome, but the desire for fame is more difficult. Well, how about love? Many believe that The Dream of the Red Chamber is emblematic of the climax of Chinese literature. I do think it is the best Chinese novel, but I wouldn't say it is the emblem because it departs greatly from the convention of Chinese literature and aims to reveal the hypocrisy of this convention which is its feigned integrity and disregard for love. It is through the lens of love that Cao Xueqin reveals to the readers the dilemma, tragedy, and general condition of human life. It is hard to describe how much this book means to me. It not only defines how I understand my national identity, but also serves as a foundation for my cognition and interpretation of almost everything. Many times when life tosses me a certain peculiarity or uneasiness, I would remember and contemplate on a scene, a prose, a quotation, or a general idea about the fate of one of the character in this book, and suddenly I would feel easier and say to myself: this is life. The Dream of the Red Chamber isn't very popular among Western readers, and most well-read people on GR have never heard of this book, and even those who appreciate Chinese literature ignore it, probably finding it too long, too difficult, too boring (someone even said it's unaesthetic). I've heard people comparing it to The Plum in the Golden Vase, or categorizing it as a book about teenage relationships. So, I find it necessary to clarify that The Dream of the Red Chamber is objectively the single most important literary work in the history of Chinese literature, or even one can say East Asian literature. It is more important to Chinese literature than Shakespeare is to English literature. It is ridiculous to think that you know Chinese literature/culture/philosophy without having read this book (even though I know that most people in China no longer read this). Hundreds and thousands of scholars have devoted their lives to the study of every single word of this work. For many admirers for Cao Xueqin, myself included, we would be willing to sacrifice many years of our lives if we could read the original ending of this work which has been unfortunately lost. I consider it beyond my ability to review this book, especially in the language of English, so all I can do is an advertisement. This is the book to read if you want to encounter Chinese mentality at its most powerful, intricate, insightful, and sincere form.

Specify Books Toward Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5)

Original Title: 紅樓夢 [Hónglóu Mèng]
ISBN: 0385093799 (ISBN13: 9780385093798)
Edition Language: English
Series: The Story of the Stone #1-5, Four Great Classic Novels of China
Characters: Baoyu, Daiyu, Baochai, Pao Yu
Literary Awards: Национална награда „Христо Г. Данов“ for Преводна художествена литература (2015)

Rating Epithetical Books Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5)
Ratings: 4.14 From 3699 Users | 318 Reviews

Comment On Epithetical Books Dream of the Red Chamber (The Story of the Stone #1-5)
The copy I read was a downloadable Kindle version. I could not figure out the translator. The total location number was 36403. If I use a recommended page-equivalent converter number of 16.69, the page number comes to a little over 2100, which is close to the printed full version page number.At first, I couldnt understand how this book became one of the four pinnacles of classical Chinese literature. The other three are: The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, and Outlaws of the

I found a all four volumes of this book on the street, in Berlin Germany. I had never heard of it before, but the book described itself as THE most relevant piece of Chinese Literature that there is; naturally I had to keep it and eventually read it. I didn't fall in love with this book until about half way through Volume II. I had a hard time following all of the characters, their relationships to each other, and the Chinese names, many of which were so similar (to me) that I would get easily

The truth is that if not for my Asian Literatures class, I wouldn't have mustered enough strength (despite interest) to read this novel. And I am particularly drawn to the idea forwarded by some academics that Hong Lou Meng is actually a critique to the reception of the public to fiction (and perhaps to reading in general). Also, it is a counter to the idea that in order to attain enlightenment, one must transcend the everyday world. A monk makes a stone nod. The stone is cast away by the

I can only just begin to grasp the importance, the amazing contribution to Chinese (and world!) literature that this story brought about. Quite a challenging read--even with some schooling in Chinese culture, I found myself stumbling, reviewing and contacting my professor to make sure I caught all the nuances, that I understood all the honorific titles (the family tree chart in the intro is most helpful!) However, it was absolutely worth it as this is a stirring and gorgeous tour-de-force! Even

One of the greatest masterpieces of literature, reading this was an incredible experience. Poignant, funny, metaphysical, tragic, allegorical, psychologically profound, and highly entertaining, it bridges the worlds of heaven and earth, dreams and "reality," and is a truly astonishing achievement. Reading does not get any better than this--it really is up there with Don Quixote, The Divine Comedy, War and Peace, Shakespeare, and anything else you might name. As one Western scholar on the work

Actually, I should not say that I have read this book, while I have not really read the English version of this work. Nevertheless, I think that among the translated versions of this work, the page number of this version looks at least convincing enough.About this work, there are enough positive reviews given from various perspectives already. One thing that I would like to note here is that it is not simply a love story like Romeo and Juliet. When paying attention to all details that the writer

Excellent 'Starter' Dream of the Red Chamber/Story of the Stone (two names for the same work).This is an abridged English version of an amazing Chinese novel called Dream of the Red Chamber or Story of the Stone. I would recommend reading this if you would like to know the general story, which you should, as it is one of the most important novels in history. This book is HUGE in China- it is considered, along with one or two other works, the pinnacle of Chinese literature. And it is much more

Post a Comment

0 Comments