The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72) 
I'm giving this 5 stars because I felt compelled to read it a second time and later even a third time. It's such a STRANGE story... superbly written as I would expect from Poe, but strange, strange, strange!
It was ok. I would have liked it more if it weren't for the n-word. That made me very uncomfortable.

The Gold Bug really brought back memories, since I think reading it as a child was my first introduction to the idea of a cipher and how it can be solved. I had forgotten this story until now, but as a kid I was fascinated and immediately got my mom to buy me a book of cipher-type puzzles to solve.The Sphinx I am not sure I had ever read before. I don't really find the idea very plausible, since I would think it would be obvious that to look at the "monster" would require a different focus than
One of Poe's longer stories, but it's a pretty cool adventure/mystery, Poe was a versatile author and it's too bad he was not appreciated more in his lifetime.
I will say what I always say about Poe, no matter which of his stories/poems I read...Poe is an artist! Poe is unique!Poe is mysterious! Poe is scary!Poe is Poe!!! <3 And I love him!!!All of his stories and poems give you the chills and you just can't stop reading!!!If you haven't read any of his work...please do a gift to yourself and go read some!!!
"The Gold-Bug," written in 1843, was one of Edgar Allen Poe's most popular stories. He actually won a $100 prize for it in a newspaper's writing contest, probably the most he was ever paid for any of his works. It tells the story of William Legrand, who finds and deciphers an old parchment with a hidden message that leads to a pirate's buried treasure -- thus taking advantage of the 19th century public's enthusiasm for both cryptography and buried treasure.The cipher on the parchment is a
Edgar Allan Poe
Paperback | Pages: 124 pages Rating: 3.75 | 7518 Users | 412 Reviews

Define About Books The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72)
| Title | : | The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72) |
| Author | : | Edgar Allan Poe |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 124 pages |
| Published | : | April 1st 2007 by Hesperus Press (first published September 13th 1842) |
| Categories | : | Classics. Short Stories. Fiction. Mystery. Horror |
Narrative Conducive To Books The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72)
Believing William Legrand to have gone insane following an insect bite, his friend initially decries his quest for gold as the ramblings of a madman. Yet when Legrand's conviction fails to waiver, they set off on a bizarre journey, accompanied by Jupiter, Legrand's loyal and equally skeptical servant. What follows is a strange tale of coded messages, hidden treasure, and uncanny prophecy that will both enthrall and baffle even the most perceptive readers.Part horror story, part detective fiction, The Gold Bug is an ingenious tale bearing all the hallmarks of Poe's extraordinary narrative skill. It is presented here with The Sphinx, a similarly themed and equally disturbing short story. Wonderfully versatile as an author and best known for his tales of terror and the macabre, Edgar Allan Poe (1809–1849) holds a venerable place in the history of American literature.Present Books To The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72)
| Original Title: | The Gold-Bug |
| ISBN: | 1843911442 (ISBN13: 9781843911449) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Clubul Temerarilor #72 |
| Setting: | Sullivan's Island, South Carolina(United States) |
Rating About Books The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72)
Ratings: 3.75 From 7518 Users | 412 ReviewsCrit About Books The Gold Bug (Clubul Temerarilor #72)
This version is actually a collection of three short stories by Poe: "The Gold Bug", "The Sphinx", and "William Wilson". I enjoyed all three, especially "William Wilson" (which, to me, had the most ominous undertones). "The Gold Bug" was more entertaining (and funny) than I anticipated. I'm familiar with both Charleston and Sullivan's Island, so it made the story even more interesting.I'm giving this 5 stars because I felt compelled to read it a second time and later even a third time. It's such a STRANGE story... superbly written as I would expect from Poe, but strange, strange, strange!
It was ok. I would have liked it more if it weren't for the n-word. That made me very uncomfortable.

The Gold Bug really brought back memories, since I think reading it as a child was my first introduction to the idea of a cipher and how it can be solved. I had forgotten this story until now, but as a kid I was fascinated and immediately got my mom to buy me a book of cipher-type puzzles to solve.The Sphinx I am not sure I had ever read before. I don't really find the idea very plausible, since I would think it would be obvious that to look at the "monster" would require a different focus than
One of Poe's longer stories, but it's a pretty cool adventure/mystery, Poe was a versatile author and it's too bad he was not appreciated more in his lifetime.
I will say what I always say about Poe, no matter which of his stories/poems I read...Poe is an artist! Poe is unique!Poe is mysterious! Poe is scary!Poe is Poe!!! <3 And I love him!!!All of his stories and poems give you the chills and you just can't stop reading!!!If you haven't read any of his work...please do a gift to yourself and go read some!!!
"The Gold-Bug," written in 1843, was one of Edgar Allen Poe's most popular stories. He actually won a $100 prize for it in a newspaper's writing contest, probably the most he was ever paid for any of his works. It tells the story of William Legrand, who finds and deciphers an old parchment with a hidden message that leads to a pirate's buried treasure -- thus taking advantage of the 19th century public's enthusiasm for both cryptography and buried treasure.The cipher on the parchment is a


0 Comments